Saturday, June 16, 2007

Remembering Fathers

Sunday, June 17Th will be the annual celebration of Father's Day. This tradition we now observe was the brain child of a lady from Spokane, WA named Sonora Smart Dodd. After hearing a sermon on Mother's Day in 1909 she thought it a fitting tribute that children should have a day set aside for honoring their fathers as well.
A few months ago I came across a book by Louise Betts Egan called, "I Remember When Dad...". It is an endearing collection of memories and stories about fathers contributed by people of all ages and backgrounds. Their stories are tender, inspiring ,funny and of course, personal. Perhaps you can take a moment to remember something that your father did or said that made an impact or impression on your life. Whether living or passed, they have left their unique footprint on our lives that time or distance cannot erase. Here is a remembrance of my father, Gene Scarbrough. (1923 - 2003)

It was the summer of 1963. I was 12. School was out for summer vacation so our days began a little later. Although it was Sunday, there were still the usual chores to be done around the farm. But on this day as I went about my duties I didn't see my dad working out in the field or in the machine shop or anywhere for that matter. Our car was in the driveway, but no dad. I asked mom where he was and she just smiled, and said he'd gone to Indiana with a friend and would be back soon. Now that really sparked my curiosity as it was completely out of character for my dad to go to another state (although Indiana was only about 40 miles away from our farm in east/central Illinois) especially without taking us along. As the hours poked by I became more and more curious as to what he was doing and when he would return! I watched for a long time from our front porch looking right and left down each long, vacant mile. And finally, I saw a cloud of dust rising from the gravel road indicating an approaching vehicle from the east. As it drew closer I could see it was a truck hauling a trailer behind. My curiosity was satisfied at that point that it wasn't dad as I was thinking he had gone in a car. But the truck began to slow down as it approached our house and I wondered, "who could that be". As the truck came closer I recognized the driver to be my dad's friend, Delford. And there was my dad riding shotgun! Delford pulled the rig across the drive and dad jumped out and said, "hey Peg, come and see what's in the back". I ran over to take a better look and what I saw left me speechless! I stood there, stunned and then I heard dad say, "it's yours"! Mine? This big, beautiful horse standing in the trailer was mine? It was exactly what I had begged and nagged (no pun intended) for endlessly! And here it was...my freedom! Now, anyone who knew my dad would also know that he wasn't outwardly the most soft hearted person when it came to something he considered frivolous. The horse that was now mine was 14. A Morgan/Quarter Horse mix who was a trained and seasoned parade horse. He was bay with a white blaze and four white stockings. His name, of course, was Boots! It was indeed one of the best summers of my life! I will always remember with great fondness that day, knowing the lengths dad had gone to in bringing this special gift home for me. Boots represented the level of my dad's love for me on that day! And I made many treasured memories with him and my friends from that day on. Thanks, dad!

If you'd like to read about the history of Father's Day and enjoy some other ideas, poems etc. to add to your celebration with your father, please go here.
Wishing all the fathers I know, a blessed and happy Father's Day!
Until Next Time...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

He was truly a thoughtful man. He never appeared to be soft hearted but near the end of his life he held back less. I can remember several occasions when he went out of his way to think of us. He was so fair with us Grandkids. Treated us as equally as he could.

When I graduated from High School we went to visit him in the nursing home and he was misty eyed because he didn't have anything to give me for my Graduation present. He pulled his only twenty dollar bill from his pocket and tried to give it to me. When I refused it he was in full blown tears. He then looked at you
" Peg...That's all I've got." Still breaks my heart to think about it. He put his own ill heath aside and the fact that he was in a nursing home to think of me.

I miss him everyday the love and stories that he shared. Those of his generation are slowly fading but their stories and character will be with us always. Love Linz