Thursday, June 14, 2007

Remembering Flag Day

Today, June 14Th is Flag Day! Earlier on the radio I heard the song entitled, "Ragged Old Flag" by Johnny Cash. The neighboring acre has a huge Old Glory on a 20 foot pole, so I moved over to the window to look at it as the song played. In that moment I was drawn into the story and almost felt as if I were there viewing the scenes it described. As the wind swept the flag up and down in heaving rhythm I could just imagine that the flag was reacting to the words I was hearing. And in that moment it spoke to me. That silent symbol of strength, courage and honor under which many of our sons and daughters have given their all, waving freely and proudly in the Texas wind. I lived in the Midwest until my early teens where the mention of God, flag and country were a big deal. And now, in this small Texas town I look forward to 12 noon each day as the National Anthem is proudly played. Quite a contrast from the apathetic California lifestyle that surrounded me for the past 40 years. It's just one of the reasons I like it here. A dear friend and fellow Texan by the grace...gave me a bumper sticker that reads..."American born...Texan by the grace of God". And to that I say...Amen!
If you'd like to read the rest of the lyrics to "Ragged Old Flag" or a good piece on the History of Flag Day click on these links.
P.S. - Don't forget to tell your children and your Grandchildren that today is Flag Day and remind them of why we should honor it.

No comments: